Monday, April 13, 2009

James' Near-Death Experiences

Mom: James took a silly test entitled How will you die? on his Facebook internet account. The result of the quiz foresaw him expiring in a glorious death of drowning. I had to comment on it.

"This is interesting considering the fact that you HAVE almost died.........a few times, and none of them had anything to do with drowning. I remember a life flight followed by intensive care following a nose dive out of a tree house. I remember the shaky voice of a road worker as she informed me that you were almost steam-rollered. I remember screaming at the top of my lungs, stopping traffic on the main street at Waikiki Beach and you toddling unconcernedly on.... to the screeching of tires and the smell of rubber. I remember Dad telling me of catching you by the clothes as you tried to bungee jump (without a rope) about 30 feet onto some concrete. And lastly, I remember lightning striking right next to you and you darting in front of traffic in the rain trying to get to Dad who watched helplessly from the other side of the road. This doesn't include injuries, like dismembered toes. Man............you've had an interesting life, and you are only in your early twenties!"

The bungee jumping incident happened in Alabama. Dad took you kids to the airport to go get Grandma or Papa, I can't remember which. I had to stay at home because I was having complications with my pregnancy with Rebecca. There was a balcony of some sort that was open air. Somebody that wasn't thinking, put a bench up against the wall. James climbed on top of that and Dad caught him by his clothes on his way over the edge.

The steam roller happened in Washington, UT. He was walking to Aunt Melanni's and they were doing road construction in front of the house. After he walked out the door, I remembered about the construction. I ran out and it had just happened. The flag lady was still shaking and I watched James' little retreating back bouncing along towards Aunt Melanni's, unaware that he almost died. She was pretty shaken up along with the driver.

Does anyone else remember these incidents?

Ariana, 13 April 2009: Man, James is one lucky (or unlucky?) guy! I remember James jumping out of the tree house. The only part I remember is running to the door of Grandma Whitaker's house to see James after we found out he got hurt. I don't remember seeing him or anything else about that day or the time he was in the hospital. Becca and I were talking about James just yesterday (Easter Sunday):"In the happiness of Easter, we don't go to church!"

Melanni, 13 April 2009: Wow, James must have a whole fleet of guardian angels. I remember hearing most of these stories, but the one I actually witnessed was him jumping out the treehouse. I remember thinking, should I go get Mom? Now I think, how could I even have wondered about that?! Kids' minds work so differently than adults'...or maybe it was just mine(0:

1 comment:

Ariana said...

That was really weird. There weren't any comments when I started typing, then when I posted mine, I saw yours. That happened the last time we posted on Mom's other blog. We must check our blogs at the same time. :o)