Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ariana Remembers:

Ariana, Jesse, Melanni and Christian James
with Dad in Alabama
Ariana: This picture brings back a lot of good memories for me. We all loved it when Dad came home from work and couldn't wait to pile on Dad! The different items in the room bring back some fun memories. I remember watching Mom sew those pink curtains. I liked watching her use the sewing machine.


I have lots of memories of that leather chair. That was Dad's special chair and we couldn't sit on it when he was home because that was his spot. Sometimes we'd be sitting on it when he came home from work, and we'd have to jump out of it as fast as we could. Then, he would sit down in the chair, and we would help unlace his army boots and pull them off. We'd also help take off his scratchy green socks and those green elastic bands with hooks on them that held up his socks. (At least, I think that's what they were for. I have no idea what those are called.) One of us would go to the kitchen and Mom would help us fill a tall glass with ice and water so we could carefully carry it back to Dad. That was really fun!

I also remember sitting on Dad's lap in the special chair and showing him my loose tooth. It was really, really loose, but I was afraid to pull it out. Dad wanted to wiggle it, but I was afraid to let him. He promised he wouldn't pull it out. Of course, he did. I remember the tooth flew across the room. I was glad he pulled it out because then the Tooth Fairy could come. Dad taught us to put our tooth on the kitchen counter, in a cup filled with water and sprinkled with salt for the Tooth Fairy, instead of under our pillows. There were a few times when the Tooth Fairy didn't come the first night that I put my tooth out for her. Dad explained that I probably hadn't added enough salt to the cup. So, I'd make sure to season it really well, and then the money would show up the next morning.

I think Grandma Larson crocheted the blanket on the back of the chair for Jesse when he was born.

Do you guys remember that chair? What's that thing next to the globe on the table?

Melanni, 1 April 2009: I liked your memory, Ariana. I remember taking off Dad's boots, too. I don't remember Mom sewing those curtains in particular but I do remember her using her sewing machine a lot when we were little. I remember the tall glass of water and ice, too. I don't look too happy in this picture-it's probably because I wanted Dad all to myself! It's funny, Kasen makes the same pouting face that I'm making in that picture sometimes.

1 comment:

C and D Larson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.